Friday, August 1, 2014

rekindle...


I am really excited about this post.  I have been wanting to talk more about my relationship with my dreamy Mr. C, but I had to wait for the right moment.  He is my best friend, soul mate, companion forever and the father of my children.  He is incredibly sexy, has the perfect body from head to toe.  My favorite is his eyes and smile.  He is ridiculously smart, funny and talented in just about every area of life.  Which drives me nuts with envy sometimes but, makes me adore him even more.   I love how giving, kind and dedicated he is.  He has a heart of gold, the wisdom of an owl and body of a god.  And he's mine, all mine.

I love watching old married people, walking hand in hand, grocery shopping together, kissing, etc.  I could watch them all day long.  Might freak them out a bit, but I just LOVE the elderly.  When Mr. C and I were dating he asked once, "When we're ninety do you think we'll still french kiss?" I replied quickly "Heck ya!"

This summer we have been traveling a ton and "discussing" a lot as well.  We've had our highs of highs and lows of lows in a short six week time period.  It's been one roller coaster after another.  Without airing dirty laundry I'd like to think we have a typical marriage with struggles like anyone else.   As of this moment we are soaring high above the clouds, with feelings of newly weds.  I am giddy as a school girl and constantly miss him while he is at work.  While the highs feel amazing and feel like they are but a brief moment, how do we even know they are a high without feeling the lows that feel like they drag on forever?


Marriage is the most important friendship to work on and to enjoy.  This last vacation we were in Washington staying along the beach.  It was beautiful and breathtaking.  On the drive up he hid my books I was planning on reading and asked to just talk all 10 hours.  I thought it might be hard to keep conversation for that long, but we did and on top of that, we enjoyed it.  This was his way of showing love for me, because conversation is a large LOVE language for me.  

 When we arrived we looked over our family reunion agenda and the first in the mornings was yoga.  I got excited, because it is my new found love for exercise.  I told Mr. C.  His response was what I was expecting, "Well you and your sisters will have fun."  I could fell the tension building, but before the wall could be built I asked, "Why don't we go together instead.  We could walk the beach and then go to yoga."  That sealed the deal and I could see a little bounce in his step, however small.  All that week, I tried to choose him over everyone else.  I wasn't perfect, but I tried.   And guess what happened?  He started feeling loved and appreciated.  Then all of a sudden it hit me, I married my best friend. 

We have spent time mostly around water this summer, which has helped keep us grounded.  Spending time enjoying God's creations has kept us rooted.  We have unplugged the TV and iPads and instead enjoyed God's entertainment and conversations with one another.  From walking the beach, to paddle boarding Lake Powell, to fire works over Lake Payett we have bonding.  All it takes is choosing to be with each other.  My challenge for myself and anyone out there who's up for it is to choose your spouse.  When you get all the kids into bed, instead of getting cozy and curling up to a good book, choose him.  When getting ready for lunch with a friend, cancel and surprise him.  Wake him up early and take him on a morning walk.  Might Want to buy him a donut to save your bacon if he's not a morning person.  Just choose him.  

Our marriage hasn't been perfect, for which I am grateful, because of our trials we have grown closer as a unit.  I married him because I knew that whatever was in our future we'd face it together.  People say you fall in and out of love with your spouse periodically.  I have to disagree.  I think being selfish overrides the love of others and hides it away.  But like every other thing we want badly we have to work for it.   You want a great looking body, you gotta hit the gym 6 days a week and diet constantly.  You want a million dollar enterprise, you have to work your butt off and take risks.  You want a marriage that is amazing you have to constantly be working on it; putting one another first. 

 I know this isn't a band aid that heals all marriages.  There is a lot of hurt and bitterness and betrayal.  Sometimes it is heavily one sided.  I know it sucks, but you are not alone.  Lean upon the Savior and he will heal your wounds.  He has descended below all, to feel our pain.  He atoned for everyone, those who have sinned and those sinned upon.  Lean on Him and continue to reach out to your spouse.  Be patient; from what I hear the grass ain't greener on the other side.  

I love Mr. C for all his strengths and weaknesses.  He's not perfect, but he's perfect for me.  I want forever with this man.  So I am starting by enjoying today with him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment